Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army wants new sidearm

US Army wants new sidearm

They've been wanting a new sidearm for a while.
    Self-improvement is masturbation.Self-destruction is the answer.

The problem is that they can't afford it. They send companies out to spend millions designing the perfect gun for them and then the contract collapses, like it did with the XM8.
    "Don't quote me boy" - Easy E

I had a massive hardon for the XM8.

I have a forearm from one on my safe.

Brb restarting IE because the pic isn't loading.

Nope. Trying Chrome.

Nope. Pic still isn't loading

Guess I have to reboot my computer now

The should just buy the Glock 21 and be done with it.
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

I'll post a pic when I get home. It's from the first spiral of guns that were black.

A Straight Man in a Sea of Fudge packers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The should just buy the Glock 21 and be done with it.
    No thanks.

I like mine and it is my nightstand gun, but there are much better options out there.

But they have been talking about this for at least a decade, as J already said they dump a lot of money into looking for it and then nada. I don't see this being any different. Hell they just ordered a butt load more M9s not too long ago.
    The only perfect people drive Power Wagons.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

-'There is nothing more dangerously evil than a "well educated" liberal.'

The M&P and the HK45 were both developed the last time they tooted that horn. I don't foresee companies falling all over themselves to develop a new gun for it.
    Last edited by J's 89; 12-04-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
    No thanks.

I like mine and it is my nightstand gun, but there are much better options out there.
    I just had to say throw it out there, being a Glock fanboy
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Everyone in the Army who actually needs a great sidearm has one already.
    I break stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J's 89 View Post
    The M&P and the HK45 were both developed the last time they tooted that horn. I don't foresee companies falling all over themselves to develop a new gun for it.
    Hopefully they have shot themselves in the foot (pun intended) and no manufacturer will take on such a project in the future without a contract making sure all their costs will be more than covered.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Quote Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
    Brb restarting IE because the pic isn't loading.

Nope. Trying Chrome.

Nope. Pic still isn't loading

Guess I have to reboot my computer now
    Try it now.

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem50 View Post
    Hopefully they have shot themselves in the foot (pun intended) and no manufacturer will take on such a project in the future without a contract making sure all their costs will be more than covered.
    You would think, but they swing a lot of weight with the numbers they write into the proposals. The bigwigs at the firearm companies go nuts. They change companies and industries so frequently, that most were not around the last time the military did the dance.

Lowlevel is right too. The guys that are using their sidearms have already switched anyway. I would much rather them invest the money toward a better battle rifle. They want increased lethality in that vein and they aren't going to see that without a caliber change and it rolls downhill from there.

Try it now.
    Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh niiiiiiiiiccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You would think, but they swing a lot of weight with the numbers they write into the proposals. The bigwigs at the firearm companies go nuts. They change companies and industries so frequently, that most were not around the last time the military did the dance.

Lowlevel is right too. The guys that are using their sidearms have already switched anyway. I would much rather them invest the money toward a better battle rifle. They want increased lethality in that vein and they aren't going to see that without a caliber change and it rolls downhill from there.
    New BR round = 10mm explosive tipped caseless

Again what J said, but also that change in battle rifle will not happen any time soon or easily.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

I have a few caseless rounds. A couple in the background of that picture. I think they are barking up the wrong tree with that one. If I were king for a day, I would look at a larger diameter round, with a polymer case to offset the additional weight. Fielding a new round and a new rifle is more than our procurement system can endure.

I hear this one is nice.

"Terrible, terrible, the way we have all bent to the yoke; the affection we have for the harness about us." - Isaac Asimov, The Dead Past

J you need to dust that room dayum.
    "Terrible, terrible, the way we have all bent to the yoke; the affection we have for the harness about us." - Isaac Asimov, The Dead Past

Quote Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
    J you need to dust that room dayum.
    I've been a little busy and no one else comes in here, but I'll get right on that!

I have a few caseless rounds. A couple in the background of that picture. I think they are barking up the wrong tree with that one. If I were king for a day, I would look at a larger diameter round, with a polymer case to offset the additional weight. Fielding a new round and a new rifle is more than our procurement system can endure.
    Which is sad, heck the Army has or had increased the redeployment of the M14 for spear troops. The EBR is a nice piece of old deadly metal.

The M14 was pushed to infantry battalions for the designated marksmen, but the "spear" troops you speak of didn't get them in large numbers. They had and have better stuff on the MTOE already, be it SPRs, the XM10 series, or limited run of SCARs that USASOC bought.
    I break stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlevelhell View Post
    The M14 was pushed to infantry battalions for the designated marksmen, but the "spear" troops you speak of didn't get them in large numbers. They had and have better stuff on the MTOE already, be it SPRs, the XM10 series, or limited run of SCARs that USASOC bought.
    When I say spear troops I was referring to exactly that... The Infantry. And I never said large numbers, but I did see them going in country in larger numbers then when i was there earlier. But in the end they are all limited numbers or special use. J had brought up a weapon for everybody, I had mentioned how a Vietnam era weapon was "going back into service" since he brought up the logistics of introducing a new weapon platform and cal.