Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1979 F150 Build

1979 F150 Build

In case you need a refresher...
    http://www.asphaltplayground.net/for...stic-day-today

So while everyone was home for Christmas, we pulled the engine. We're hoping that Christmas 2016 has a "new" truck ready for adventure in the shed! We're all working on different parts simultaneously but since the engine is in my shop, that's what you'll see the most of. I've located an expert/parts supplier, a machine shop, and got a budget from Dad. Hoping for ~360hp and 450 ft-lbs all under 6000rpm!

"I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Blog Entries
    Excite.

Seriously. I love that truck. Excited to see what you guys do with it.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

x2
    Richard White
    Reproduction Window Sticker Guy

Quote Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
    In case you need a refresher...
    http://www.asphaltplayground.net/for...stic-day-today

So while everyone was home for Christmas, we pulled the engine. We're hoping that Christmas 2016 has a "new" truck ready for adventure in the shed! We're all working on different parts simultaneously but since the engine is in my shop, that's what you'll see the most of. I've located an expert/parts supplier, a machine shop, and got a budget from Dad. Hoping for ~360hp and 450 ft-lbs all under 6000rpm!

Hey there guy, what kind of parts u using?
    "You're a bad guy, you do bad shit. I'm a good guy, I stop you. I just want to get back to that." - Lt. Roosevelt, San Joaquin Sheriffs

Quote Originally Posted by HIVOLTJ View Post
    Hey there guy, what kind of parts u using?
    I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm using a guy by the name of Tim Meyer out of Minnesota who specializes in these motors to put the parts combo together for me. He comes highly recommended from several of the F150/big block forums.

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/

After the block and crank are cleaned up I'm supposed to send him the dimensions of everything and he'll ship me the proper pistons, bearings, springs, cam etc. I'll let you guys on here know what it is as it goes together.

I'm almost ready to go to the machine shop with this. It supposedly came from the factory with 160 ish hp but there's no way it was still making that much.

lots of rust in #8

Looks like #3 exhaust valve hit the piston

#4 had a bent pushrod

Also, #8 had a chunk of metal missing! It is smooth and has machine marks so I'm sure it came from the factory this way. We concluded they were just trying to balance the block.

I'm still shocked at all the corrosion I found on the cylinder walls and the oil that was everywhere. This was a running motor about a month ago! Oh, and those heads, freaking HEAVY!
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Balance...the block?

Er... Wut? What you have there is an original factory machining whoops.
    84 SVO

Yeah, either balancing the block or weight reductions.

... it's a joke guys. Perhaps some of you haven't had your morning coffee yet?

I'm laughing.

Valve clearance....
    84 SVO

Compression release. Makes the engine easier to start.
    "Don't quote me boy" - Easy E

Blog Entries
    Just fill that in with some JB weld, I bet you get 3 hp out of it.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

That's an unbelievable amount of crap on the floor that came off that motor. All things being equal, I would probably recycle that one and find a new donor.
    "Terrible, terrible, the way we have all bent to the yoke; the affection we have for the harness about us." - Isaac Asimov, The Dead Past

Actually 400s do have a slight notch at the corners of the cylinder for valve clearance. Look at the head gasket. The hole is not round. Lay the head gasket on there and I bet it matches the mark.

However, that mark appears excessive. Maybe the guy in charge of notching the blocks was hungover that day. You can see the rings do not travel that far, it wouldn't have effected compression numbers, maybe comp ratio a red c-hair.

Tim Meyer knows his stuff good deal
    "You're a bad guy, you do bad shit. I'm a good guy, I stop you. I just want to get back to that." - Lt. Roosevelt, San Joaquin Sheriffs

That's a 400M isn't it?
    "Terrible, terrible, the way we have all bent to the yoke; the affection we have for the harness about us." - Isaac Asimov, The Dead Past

Quote Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
    That's a 400M isn't it?

Step right over, I have a dick punch for you!

actually it's a big block Cleveland

Well, it's a small block with a big block bellhousing pattern.
    84 SVO

Step right over, I have a dick punch for you!

actually it's a big block Cleveland
    I'm learning.

My pumpkin F150 had a 351M in it. That was a miraculous turd.

Actually 400s do have a slight notch at the corners of the cylinder for valve clearance. Look at the head gasket. The hole is not round. Lay the head gasket on there and I bet it matches the mark.

However, that mark appears excessive. Maybe the guy in charge of notching the blocks was hungover that day. You can see the rings do not travel that far, it wouldn't have effected compression numbers, maybe comp ratio a red c-hair.

Tim Meyer knows his stuff good deal
    I was kidding, in case that didn't translate.

I prefer smedium block. Also don't forget to do Tim Meyer's oil feed modifications and grooved cam bearings.

ford never used small black/ big block designations. Cleveland, 351m and 400 were designated 335 series and 429/460 were 385 series. Can't recall what windsors were. Small block and big block are Chevy terms

Quote Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
    That's a 400M isn't it?
    It's just a 400. I've come to learn their's no such thing as a 400M. That somehow stuck to the 400 because of the 351M designation. I've also come to learn that the 351M is absolutely identical to the 400 except for a smaller crank, which begs the question of why the hell it was ever produced in the first place? You gain absolutely nothing!

I prefer smedium block. Also don't forget to do Tim Meyer's oil feed modifications and grooved cam bearings.

ford never used small black/ big block designations. Cleveland, 351m and 400 were designated 335 series and 429/460 were 385 series. Can't recall what windsors were. Small block and big block are Chevy terms
    Yes, I've spoken to him on the phone and when I start reassembling this motor, he was going to send me instructions for the oil modifications. His bearings are coming in the kit I'm purchasing from him. He really does know his stuff! You're 100% correct in that the big block/small block are Chevy terms that Ford has never used. Ford designates engine "families" because most Ford owners can count past 2. Also, the Windsor motors (260, 289, 302, 351) were just that, part of the Windsor motor family. I've learned a lot about Ford motor history while researching things to do with this 400.

You've got me very curious. I'll take a look again when I get home.

I always mistakenly called Ford big blocks FE motors but that isn't exactly accurate.

I've already learned a lot in this thread. Looking forward to seeing the build.

Wow, you were not lying! I took a closer look and every cylinder has notches in it. However, that one is far and away, much larger than the others.

All apart and ready to go to the machine shop!

Looks like the bearings wore mostly pretty evenly. Not much drama.