Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Painting the RV... on the Cheap

It has like real hardwood?

Can you just do a quickie refinish on it or is it engineered or fake?
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

A Straight Man in a Sea of Fudge packers.
    I'm pretty sure it is the real stuff. I know it isn't laminate or vinyl.

It is in good shape as it is, the wood. I could refinish it but my desire to pull it would be to have one type of flooring in the whole thing.

The two thoughts I had for flooring were 1) keep the wood in the kitchenette and replace the carpet and vinyl in the head with that stuff Miles posted or 2) pull out all the flooring and put down one LVT in the whole thing with a wood look to it. I like the later as it would look cleaner and more modern but the first option is cheaper and easier even if, as Dottie said, somewhat dated.
    The only perfect people drive Power Wagons.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

-'There is nothing more dangerously evil than a "well educated" liberal.'

Yeah I wouldn't be tearing up good stuff in an older RV like that. Patch it, run it a few more years, and sell it before it needs anything major done again.

I would even bedliner the areas with peeling paint.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Again, there is nothing wrong nor failing here.

I am replacing the carpet as it is carpet and old. It will be with an LVT of some sort... simply because this is an older RV and it is cheap and can look good and last.

The remodel of the head is because the wife hates it and won't use it. So in order to improve it I want to replace the shower and everything in there. The toilet and sink will be easy, the shower will not be; so I am considering paying a shop to do it as I have not found any good advice on how to do it.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

Blog Entries
    There has to be a forum for that...
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

I'm sure there is. I have posted at a manufacturer specific site but I realize the members there are much better off than and I have, almost exclusively, much much newer and .ore expensive rigs. I've found a few sites that describe what they did but they were too vague for me to feel comfortable doing it myself at this point.

Well from what I can tell the shower surround is "just" installed with a "special" double sided tape or an adhesive. I think I can peal all that out and replace it.

Rv.net is your forum. If you e ever worked on a mobile home, you will be familiar with how to work on a camper. Fixtures and plumbing is very similar.

You have a very small space for a bathroom - what, exactly, are you going to improve upon? Toilet has to stay where it is as it doesn't have sewer line - it is over an inlet directly to the black water tank. Pull out shower panels (tape and screws prob only thing holding it in) and what do you do? Turn around and put the practically same shower back in - showers have changed hardly any in last 20-30 years. At most, I'd give a good cleaning, throw some laminate hardwood free floating flooring down, and call it a day. And maybe new faucet/shower head.

Regarding existing flooring, if it's real 3/4" hardwood, someone did it down the road as it's not oem. I'm betting it is plank style 1/4 engineered wood.

If you pull carpet up, I'd put down engineered wood. Will hold up longer than the rv will likely.

Hate to be a spoilsport but you are going to spend a crapload of money/time - and when finished, it won't increase the value. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong unless what you have is literally falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard White
    Reproduction Window Sticker Guy

Oh, and you can paint the wallboard as well. Just prime good first.

Richard White

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771 View Post
    Rv.net is your forum. If you e ever worked on a mobile home, you will be familiar with how to work on a camper. Fixtures and plumbing is very similar.

You have a very small space for a bathroom - what, exactly, are you going to improve upon? Toilet has to stay where it is as it doesn't have sewer line - it is over an inlet directly to the black water tank. Pull out shower panels (tape and screws prob only thing holding it in) and what do you do? Turn around and put the practically same shower back in - showers have changed hardly any in last 20-30 years. At most, I'd give a good cleaning, throw some laminate hardwood free floating flooring down, and call it a day. And maybe new faucet/shower head.

Regarding existing flooring, if it's real 3/4" hardwood, someone did it down the road as it's not oem. I'm betting it is plank style 1/4 engineered wood.

If you pull carpet up, I'd put down engineered wood. Will hold up longer than the rv will likely.

Hate to be a spoilsport but you are going to spend a crapload of money/time - and when finished, it won't increase the value. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong unless what you have is literally falling apart.

Um, improve upon everything. That isn't hard to do. Just because I am not moving things, which I never said I was, does not mean I cannot put things in there. A new shower would do wonders for the head. A new toilet is beyond easy to do and I am only waiting u til I have a unified plan on what new sink and shower I am putting.

It may be engineered or real, all I know is that it is in good shape and not a laminate nor vinyl. Replacing the carpet with LVT is so far cheaper than anything else I have seen. If there is a better and cheaper option I would love to research it.

And I am not looking to flip nor increase the "value." I. Looking to make it more comfortable and use able to me and my family. So I do not see where you think you are somehow a "spoilsport."

In that case, have at it. :-)

Only issue with LVT will be if you have any water leaks - course water leaks will give an issue no matter what flooring you go with. If you've ever worked on a house, and ever worked on a car, then you have the skillset to work on an RV.

Not much has changed on rv toilets - and don't put a home style toilet in there, stay with rv style toilet. They've gotten taller, with a foot flush and better bowl rinsing, but that's about it. Newest fancy ones are ceramic but I don't see a need for ceramic. Painting the wallboard is popular, and recovering existing flooring is also nice. Changing colors to modern colors on couch/dinette is also popular and not expensive to do. In fact, I will be replacing the foam in my dinette cushions. They currently feel like sitting on not much more than 1" of foam. Found a site online a while back that will cut it to size and ship to you, then you simply zip it into your existing dinette coverings.

Residential style fixtures are always popular. As far as sink and stuff, you can go residential on those as well. Just be aware they take up quite a bit more space compared to RV sink/cabinet.

Converting all light bulbs to LED is pretty popular too. And not that expensive.

Light fixtures themselves are practically the same pancake style they've had for last 20 years. If you don't have a fan in your pop up roof hatch in your bathroom, those are a nice addition. Same goes if you have a pop up hatch in kitchen area.

LED accent lighting via those 16' LED amazon rolls you can get are also pretty darn nice to make things look modern. Run them under countertop lips, or around slide outs, or under overhead cabinets. They plug into an outlet and have a remote control.
    Richard White

I am keeping the hardwood in the galley and putting down that LVT Miles posted, I am however still stuck on the shower in the head. I do not the current one as it looks just too "yellowed" and such. If I can "reglaze" it and then recaulk it would be good to go with the new floor and toilet.

Actually now i am not sure on this flooring... this is some of the leftover box from the kids bathroom.

Have you considered buying a bunch of gas cans, filling them up, placing them in your RV, and driving the RV off a cliff?
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

For ugly carpet?

Sounds proportional.

upload image free google

I'm not liking it much, at least at the moment.

I think I will paint and refloor the class a and enjoy it this year, maybe next too and then get a bunkhouse or a vacation house in Florida. Lol

So the carpet is trash?

The thing with the vinyl is your transitions and you'll probably need to shoemold too. No biggie though.

But that definitely sounds like a reasonable up grade and repair plan. Also deep clean on the plumbing and surrounding stuff.

Enjoy it and sell it...
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

The carpet isn't trash, just worn in a few places... under the tiles I just dropped down is where it is the worst.

I think am extremely deep cleaning would fix most of the carpet... well except the outdated color. The wife also hates carpet, when we use it the carpet is the first thing to show anything, obviously. It just makes it less fun to camp when she is instantly annoyed by the stuff that gets tracked in. Lol.

The threshold is where I am most worried. I will just use caulk on the seams.
    Last edited by NIUPonyBoy; 05-29-2017 at 05:09 PM.

You can get rubber thresholds from your supplier or even a flooring supply company. There is wood thresholds and caulk too.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

True, let me rephrase, I will use the caulk rather than baseboards I think and I think it would be easier to use to join the remaining hardwood and whatever LVT, I use. I was leaning towards that stuff as I have enough to do half the RV already just sitting in the basement, but after just tossing it down in there I am not as sold on it as i thought i would be.

Caulk looks super cheap, unless necessary. Get some shoemold and stain it when around cabinets and paint it around the walls. Extra $50 and get a clean 'thought out' looking job.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

The caulk I am referring to looks a lot like mortar.