Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New toy & subsequent build thread!!!

Blog Entries
    Lol. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Founding Member
    I remember when I built my 94 GT from a rolling chassis years ago. I figured I had tons of parts around that would work. Nope. I spent 6 months scrounging for parts. One thing you'll find is that the timing cover, accessories and such are actually pretty much identical to the 5.0 powered MN12 Tbird and Cougar. I think it moves everything back toward the engine like 1 - 1.5 inches or something, I don't remember exactly. It was done to make it more compact for clearance of electric fans and such.

I remember that trans mount too. I ended up having to order one from Ford, since they were still available back then. It's amazing how close, yet different they really are. I think the only fox stuff I used on the 94 was the tailpipe hangers, and even then, you have to swap them side to side to work.

Are you sure the starter is an aftermarket? The 93+ 5.0's all came with the factory "mini" starter instead of the 1950s style the earlier stuff all had.

The tbird/cougar intake was because the slope of the hood IIRC. When I changed to a exploder gt40 the front bolt worked a hole in the hood/fire mat deal. Real odd duck shit though...for a mass produced car to have this drive line for only 2yrs with the 1-2yr only parts (early model ground effects are rounded in front with not vertical part that meets the front fender, later 94 or early 95 cars got the vertical unit for rock chip protection) will make for some expensive parts down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem50 View Post
    Lol. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut
    Meh, you spoke truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I remember when I built my 94 GT from a rolling chassis years ago. I figured I had tons of parts around that would work. Nope. I spent 6 months scrounging for parts. One thing you'll find is that the timing cover, accessories and such are actually pretty much identical to the 5.0 powered MN12 Tbird and Cougar. I think it moves everything back toward the engine like 1 - 1.5 inches or something, I don't remember exactly. It was done to make it more compact for clearance of electric fans and such.

I remember that trans mount too. I ended up having to order one from Ford, since they were still available back then. It's amazing how close, yet different they really are. I think the only fox stuff I used on the 94 was the tailpipe hangers, and even then, you have to swap them side to side to work.

Are you sure the starter is an aftermarket? The 93+ 5.0's all came with the factory "mini" starter instead of the 1950s style the earlier stuff all had.
    Honestly, I have no idea. Could be original. I didn't know that 93 and beyond had factory "mini" starters. Look at me learning new things! Yeah, I got into this thinking I would have all kinds of spare parts lying around. Not so much!

Quote Originally Posted by blksn955.o View Post
    The tbird/cougar intake was because the slope of the hood IIRC. When I changed to a exploder gt40 the front bolt worked a hole in the hood/fire mat deal. Real odd duck shit though...for a mass produced car to have this drive line for only 2yrs with the 1-2yr only parts (early model ground effects are rounded in front with not vertical part that meets the front fender, later 94 or early 95 cars got the vertical unit for rock chip protection) will make for some expensive parts down the road.
    Yeah, like Carp said, I think the intent was to keep things similar, but then it all went wrong somewhere along the way.

Motor is secured, trans is in, headers are hooked up... I'm almost ready to fire this engine back up. Unfortunately, the MAF that I bought off ebay turned out to be an 80mm from the DOHC cobra's used in 96/97. I really wish people knew wtf they were selling. I've also recently purchased a set of underdrive pulley's that should be here soon. Good news though, is I found a set of MM adjustable RLCA that I thought I had previously sold. I had to steal the stock ones off of the Cobra to move the '87. Now I'll have the ability to test/drive/dyno the cobra prior to the IRS being ready. This, in my mind, is a good thing as it allows me to check for leaks and other issues prior to the car being 100% complete. Depending upon when I can locate a MAF, I may be able to have the car up and running by next weekend!
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Blog Entries
    Fingers crossed, man.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Keep the MAF, I am running that MAF actually as they flow more than the stocker (Same between cobra and GT on our years). The airflow for a decent N/A motor (non-stroker or maybe mild stroker) is there IMHO and since they are factory the 30pnt MAF Transfer is not only easy to get but really close out of the box.

You will need a pigtail to get it up an connected along with a tune.

I think I still have my stock MAF (I did use a dremmel to knock down the center stud of the safety torx scre) someplace...fairly sure it made the move both times. If I find it I will PM you if you don't have one yet.

Dammit! You're just a few hours too late. I've already mailed the 80mm MAF meter back, and purchased a different one off ebay. Uhg... oh well. Didn't know I could use the 80mm one. Its mounting flange holes didn't seem to want to line up with my air intake tube though.
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

I made a home made CAI/air sucky tube out of fernco's and PVC pipe for the t-body to MAF bit (cut one fernco in half, so I did not have 10in of black rubber ferncos hanging out). I had a old K&N cone filter for the 94-95 years and had to re-drill a couple of holes on the air filter to MAF bracket, the hole was a perfect match for the 80mm.

I'll have an engine shot for tomorrow, but I'm just two 02 sensor extensions away from being ready to fire it up.

The rear axle is back underneath and bolted in. I "think" all I have left to do is install the driveshaft, exhaust, and fill the car up with fluids and then I'm ready to turn the key and see what happens!

It's alive! I forgot how amazing open headers sound on a 302.

Okay, I'm needing help. My instrument cluster is dead in the water. I keep blowing the #15 fuse which is a 10 amp fuse. According to this diagram, the fuse sends power to the instrument cluster, and to the low oil relay.

I've removed the cluster from the dash, and the fuse still instantly blows whenever I turn the key. I'd like to find the low oil relay and remove it as well, so I can positively identify that it's a wiring issue. However, I don't know where it is located, and my Chilton manual, and internet search has yielded nothing. Or, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to possibly look for, I'm all ears. I have no idea how to find this red wire with yellow stripe, as it's buried deep within the dash. I may just run a new wire altogether if I can locate the ends, and that's if it is the wire. First though, need help finding the low engine oil sensor relay.

The main relay is the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module IIRC). The low oil sender is of course in the oil pan, dont remember what side but I would maybe see if those wires trace back to the CCRM or by some odd chance an actual separate relay. I think a lot of the manuals point to a "relay" but really it is a sub part of the CCRM and it is not always clearly noted.

The light switch is a common melting/shorting point along with the radio. Outside of that there is a short tracing tool you can buy to track down shorts, there are some instructables on making one. Lastly I guess you could find a shop that does electrical work and is good at it.

Wire up a tach, put in a autometer oil press and coolant temp guage and go. My speedo when it wants to work is 20-30mph off (3.73 gears on a 3.27 from what I can tell speedo guear, car originally had 2.73 gears). I have a short in the radio/interior light section of the harness...to lazy to bust out automotive yoga.

Haha well that may be one option. I found the relay though. It really is its own separate relay between the glove box and the radio inside the dash.

Unfortunately, it's not the source of my short. So I've got an issue with the red/yellow wire somewhere. I'll try and pull the fuse panel down from the dash, but if I don't find anything easily or obvious, I'm just going to run a new wire. There's no sense in trying to take apart the dash harness to try and find where the break or short is located.

Well once again, everything looked normal. So now I need to find wire, and run a new wire from the fuse, to the instrument panel and low oil sensor relay. Uhg... I hate electrical issues.

Dammit. Finally found time to get underneath the dash and run a new wire. The only thing it gained me was.... oil pressure and volt meter. The rest of the dash is still dead; no check engine light before startup, seat belt light, nothing. I don't understand it. The dash seemed to be working when I test drove the car and brought it home. WTF could I have done that is causing all these problems?
    Last edited by 87handmedown; 06-18-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Do you have anyone who can sit in the car while you go shaking harness's? Just in case it is some goofy connection issue. If it worked but now is not...either you un-rigged something or something is just not making the connection.

No, I don't. That's what I can't figure out though. This should be simple trouble shooting, but unfortunately, electrical issues rarely are. Uhg... why did they have to go and f things up in the first place. Damn idiots who didn't know how to fix things right to begin with.