Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New toy & subsequent build thread!!!

New toy & subsequent build thread!!!

So it became obvious to me that my 87 is not going to be completed anytime soon. Their's just too much left to be done. So I've decided to put it on the 20 year project completion schedule and focus my attention elsewhere. I randomly stumbled across a guy in Wichita that had a 94 Cobra he was looking to trade. After checking it out in person, I was able to convince him to sell it to me outright for $4000. Seeing as how most 94/95 Cobra's sell for around 7 or 8 thousand if they're in good condition, and considering it was going to cost me more than $4000 to get my 87 LX to the state that this one was already in, I considered this a good deal. Don't get me wrong, this one needs work, but it's certainly within my wheelhouse. For starters, the electrical system was a slight mess. A previous owner had installed an A/F gauge as well as an aftermarket temp gauge on the A-pillar, which disconnected the factory temp gauge, which then resulted in the engine fan never coming on, which then required them to rig a switch underneath the dash, and also caused the check engine light to come on probably due to the lack of a hooked up oxygen sensor. None of this was properly tied in, mind you. No, it was all wrapped around fuse leads or semi-taped to stripped electrical wire. More details to come, but for now, pictures!

Yes, it was in a few pieces, but running and drove itself onto the trailer.

I double checked the VIN as well, it's a real cobra.

Brace yourselves for the rough part... the interior.

Yeah, it's actually worse in person. That's a lot of painful red.

But the semi-good news...

It's low mileage haha.
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Trying to get more pictures uploaded, but for now...

So it comes with a BBK "cold air intake", appears to have stock MAF still on it though, Tremec TKO 3550 installed (won't stay in 3rd gear), spare working T5, the original 94 Cobra wheels as well as the Nitto equipped Prostars you see in the photos, an SFI rated bellhousing, aftermarket clutch (no idea what brand/level, though it feels heavier than my King Cobra in my LX), FRPP shorty headers installed, spare BBK equal length shorties, Bassani X pipe with flowmaster cat back, B303, Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge, and an MSD 6AL ignition system.

Much of this will be for sale here shortly and I'd be happy to give you guys first dibs.

Plans will be to make this a sweet road race car that I can drive down to the valley of the sun and whoop Miffy's butt with!!!
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Blog Entries
    Whew. Good find. And good luck. Lol.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Founding Member
    There's a big swap meet for Fords locally coming up in a few weeks. Want me to watch for any of the interior bits? There's a decent chance someone will have the red bits in correct the correct color. I'd have to look to see for sure, but I may have a spare cluster surround and maybe radio bezel leftover from when I rebuilt my 94 GT.

Paint job, detailing misc, wiring, and seats. Pretty straight forward project.

Don't know why Foxbodies are such long term projects. Had mine 15 years, did it once (90% done), and want to do it again but back to stockish.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

I'm actually happy that the tach/shift light was attached in this manor. Saved me from having to purchase more interior parts.

Some of the wonderful wiring underneath the dash...

... and going into the light switch...

...and someone felt the need to bring the turn signal into this equation too.

What I'm hoping are the culprits of my electrical issues.

Spare transmission and trunk mounted battery. Yes, I realize I need a vented box around this.

Transmission

Bell housing

Oh, and the 3550 came with a Steeda Tri-ax who's handle has seen better days.

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem50 View Post
    Whew. Good find. And good luck. Lol.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    There's a big swap meet for Fords locally coming up in a few weeks. Want me to watch for any of the interior bits? There's a decent chance someone will have the red bits in correct the correct color. I'd have to look to see for sure, but I may have a spare cluster surround and maybe radio bezel leftover from when I rebuilt my 94 GT.
    I appreciate the thought! I'm going to check out the local junk yard here in a few days and see what they have. If they are bare, or are wanting way too much for things, I'll let you know!

I could use a stock T5 shifter if anyone has one of those lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
    Paint job, detailing misc, wiring, and seats. Pretty straight forward project.

Don't know why Foxbodies are such long term projects. Had mine 15 years, did it once (90% done), and want to do it again but back to stockish.
    That's how I analyzed this situation. I really kept looking for another reason to pass on this car and keep looking, and I just didn't find one. Seems fairly cut and dry.
    Last edited by 87handmedown; 03-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Looks like a fun project

Blog Entries
    Damn. How do you fuck up the threads on a shifter handle that bad?
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Attempting to put on a SAE threaded knob on a metric stud.....
    84 SVO

Nice project! Let me know if you want to sell the wheels!

94-95's don't have any functionality between the temp guage and the fans. The biggest culprit with the fans is either the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) is toast (common as it sits right on the damn radiator) or someone put in a 190 tstat, of course there is a separate sender for the temp switch to the CCRM but it is not the sender for the guage.

The tstat in my experience throws off the fan settings as the programming in these things runs hot and the cooler stat jacks that up. A tuner helps. The ccrm is fairly common but a spendy part.

Good luck. That looks like a project and a half.
    Brought to you by the number 5.
    http://www.asphaltplayground.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=79&dateline=137943262  1

Looks like a great project. I think the 94/95's are some great values right now

Quote Originally Posted by Shakerhood View Post
    Looks like a fun project
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by carpediem50 View Post
    Damn. How do you fuck up the threads on a shifter handle that bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by SATURN5 View Post
    Attempting to put on a SAE threaded knob on a metric stud.....
    Yeah, that would be my guess. The shift knob looks as equally fubared.

Quote Originally Posted by ITSTOCK View Post
    Nice project! Let me know if you want to sell the wheels!
    I want to sell the wheels. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you all the information I can.

Quote Originally Posted by blksn955.o View Post
    94-95's don't have any functionality between the temp guage and the fans. The biggest culprit with the fans is either the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) is toast (common as it sits right on the damn radiator) or someone put in a 190 tstat, of course there is a separate sender for the temp switch to the CCRM but it is not the sender for the guage.

The tstat in my experience throws off the fan settings as the programming in these things runs hot and the cooler stat jacks that up. A tuner helps. The ccrm is fairly common but a spendy part.
    Interesting. The previous owner just said that the fan quit working when he installed the AutoMeter water temp gauge and sending unit. Whenever I get the interior put back together, I'll fire this thing up again and see what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by sc302 View Post
    Good luck. That looks like a project and a half.
    Honestly, I don't think it's going to be that bad. It's already a running driving car, just needs a few things changed or fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay87lx View Post
    Looks like a great project. I think the 94/95's are some great values right now
    I would agree! They're cheaper when comparing apples to apples than a fox right now, and you get a lot more for your dollar (better brakes, chassis, spindles, interior, etc.)

Blog Entries
    I agree with a lot of that. I loved my 94. I've always looked for something to get to replace it. There was one that was mostly done that went for like 7k a few years ago, and I kind wish I would have grabbed it. Someone had a decent stereo in it, decent coil-overs, and Bullitt seats.

-Woodhouse

Yeah those cars are coming back in style some. If you notice even the new ones mimic the body lines of the sn gen.

Anyway, I would do a quickie rebuild/repair and sell the Tremec.

I am running the same transmission/bellhouseing and it is heavy and notchey.

Unless you are drag racing the T5 will probably suit you better. I believe you can also swap that shifter over if you wanna tlc it.

I don't see you putting a blower on that old motor. What else can be done? Cams and exhaust?
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Yeah those cars are coming back in style some. If you notice even the new ones mimic the body lines of the sn gen.

Anyway, I would do a quickie rebuild/repair and sell the Tremec.

I am running the same transmission/bellhouseing and it is heavy and notchey.

Unless you are drag racing the T5 will probably suit you better. I believe you can also swap that shifter over if you wanna tlc it.

I don't see you putting a blower on that old motor. What else can be done? Cams and exhaust?
    I appreciate the advice! I was wondering how I was going to juggle transmissions and it does seem easier to stick with T5's in both cars rather than throwing the Tremec mess into things. Plus, selling the Tremec and bellhousing means more $$$ back towards the car build! I can pull my nice T5 and bellhousing in my LX that already has a Pro 5.0 shifter on it, and put that in the Cobra. Then, when I get the chance, I'll take a look at this spare T5 and see what it's like inside.

No, I'm not going to put a blower on this car. Ideally, I'll have a N/A 347 with TW heads and cam making 430-450 hp with a nice flat torque curve, but that's a couple years down the road still. I need to upgrade the suspension, tires, and chassis long before I start messing with the motor.

94-95's have a longer input shaft than their fox counterparts. Swapping manuals is either all fox and possibly a driveshaft spacer (not 100% sure and it has been years since I looked into it) and dealing with the shifter being IIRC 5/8 forward to the dash or sticking with 94-95 specific trans and bell.

I had to brush up on my fox/sn knowledge lately, but yes, you're correct. You can't put a fox T5 with a 94/95 bellhousing or vice versa. It either has to be all 94/95, or all fox. The shifter being a little farther forward will be a non issue for me.

The only real question I have is whether the spare T5 I have with the car is the original, or if it's from a fox. I won't know until I pull the T5 out of my '87 and set it side by side to that one.

...unless someone here knows how long either a fox or 94/95 T5 should be???

If the car came with a tremec and a t5 in the trunk, I bet the t5 is original.

Sell the tremec and do a quickie rebuild on the T5. I don't know if I would start pulling parts from another project. I am fairly sure the shifter off the tremec would work on the t5 for some reason I think they are the same, rethread that and save it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-cobra-review

Anyway, here is a morning read for you. I would actually kinda take it back to original some, not exactly a real common car. Bullitt suspension, TLC, and stock 94 wheels?
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Found the answer from this website
    http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Fo...on-Options.htm

So if the spare transmission input shaft measure 7.2 inches from the case, then it's from a fox, but if it measures 7.85, or if it doesn't have the neutral safety switch, then it's from a 94/95 and is likely the original transmission.

Cant really tell from the engine pics but here are coolant related sensors.

Gauge sender located on drivers side of engine, mine has been replaced with an autometer so it has the autometer sender. The factory one is also a single pole/stud deal.

Coolant temp sensor that feeds the EEC/CCRM with info to turn on/off fans. Located on the passenger side and has a 2 wire plug connector that goes onto the sensor.

If the car came with a tremec and a t5 in the trunk, I bet the t5 is original.

Sell the tremec and do a quickie rebuild on the T5. I don't know if I would start pulling parts from another project. I am fairly sure the shifter off the tremec would work on the t5 for some reason I think they are the same, rethread that and save it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-cobra-review

Anyway, here is a morning read for you. I would actually kinda take it back to original some, not exactly a real common car. Bullitt suspension, TLC, and stock 94 wheels?
    Well, I measured the input shaft length as shown on the webpage I previously linked, and it's 7.2 inches which means it's actually from a fox. So no idea where the original is, unfortunately. I'm not keen on pulling parts of the '87 either, but my only other option is to buy another bell housing, and possibly transmission because the spare T5 is in questionable condition. It's clearly been open to the elements for a while and I don't know how it'll run. I'd rather put a known good clutch, bell housing, and transmission setup in this car and get it up and going, rather than have to do it twice because one part wasn't in as good of condition as originally thought.

On a similar note, I got underneath the car and noticed that on the back end of the aluminum driveshaft (hey, another plus) was a spacer. This likely means that the transmission and bellhousing are also for a fox and not a 94/95, which is better because it allows me to sell to a larger market! Again, if anyone on here wants these, I'll make you a good deal on them.

As far as plans, I thought about going back to original for the reasons you've mentioned, but I think I'm going to be much happier if I go the route I'm planning. It's nothing crazy, it'll still look like a lightly modified cobra, and aside from the subframe connectors and a maybe roll bar, I won't do anything that's not reversible. However, I bought this car to be a track car and fun street car, and I think in the long run, that's what I'll be the most happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by blksn955.o View Post
    Cant really tell from the engine pics but here are coolant related sensors.

Gauge sender located on drivers side of engine, mine has been replaced with an autometer so it has the autometer sender. The factory one is also a single pole/stud deal.

Coolant temp sensor that feeds the EEC/CCRM with info to turn on/off fans. Located on the passenger side and has a 2 wire plug connector that goes onto the sensor.
    Wow, thank you for the pictures! When I get home tonight I'll take a look under the hood and see what I've got.