Thread: Firearms

A Straight Man in a Sea of Fudge packers.

Firearms

In the last month the two largest firearm stores in my area have shuttered their doors.

Central Wisconsin Firearms: the nicer mom and pop type shop that used to carry a lot of inventory and was the only Class III for more than 100 miles closed the end of April. I could tell somwthing was up when I went in there the last few times and there was next to nothing in the shop. Made me kinda annoyed that they closed. Not exactly sure why it was quick, I knew the demand all but dried up but still seemed sudden and rather unexpected.

Gander Mountain: yeah no surprise there. Having worked for the company for years long ago I am surprised they made it this long. The store up here is actually pretty nice and the rumor is that it will become a Camping World, I like that idea, a lot. :-) The prices for the going out of business sale still suck.

Walmart: they still sell them at the one up here but it is a greatly reduced inventory.

They just built a Dicks a few months back and they are already scaling back the inventory in all the sections there.

It really just only leaves Dunhams, Mills and a small shop I kinda don't trust, he has jumped store fronts a few times. Oh and the newest place with the indoor ranges, very mice place just buku bucks. It the shop thag still has my latest edition waiting for me to start the paperwork. Even the primarilary archery stores are closing up. Kinda weird but also not I guess.
    The only perfect people drive Power Wagons.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

-'There is nothing more dangerously evil than a "well educated" liberal.'

Sorry for your loss.

RIP Illinois?
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Illinois? What?

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

Between internet sales and a ton of new kitchen table FFLs it's not a surprise. One locally owned store has been struggling but that's because they sell their firearms at full retail value and won't budge off that. Hard to sell when you can save literally hundreds of dollars by buying online.

We have had a surprising number of gun ranges that opened up. Three years ago there was one indoor range, now there's five. Three of them opened up within the last year.

Yeah I do think if they diversify into a shooting range they can discount guns etc and do ok.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Did not know about Gander Mountain, they just opened one up about 15-20miles away. Went there one time and was eh...kind of like Cabela's and Bass pro in that the only thing decent is the "sale" prices with other discounts to come closer with other local sellers or online.

Dicks...can suck a ...k. We do have some nice shops that have been around a long time with really good prices and inventory (like within 5-10$ of online) and will discount further for a cash purchase. There are 2 indoor ranges close to me and one is a class III and offers tons of training (largest CCW training by numbers in the state).

I haven't found a local store that can beat online prices. Not to mention it saves me the nearly 10% in sales tax. Transfers to my range are only $25 so it's a no brainer. Bud's Gun Shop is my typical go to for firearms.

I don't see how places like Gander Mountain still sell guns. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous.
    "Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Gander Mtn. doesn't sell firearms anymore, they are DOA, as a company. Which doesn't surprise anyone. Lol Even their going out of business prices are fucking stupid.

The problem up here is the the cheapest transfer fee is $40, or was, I haven't checked in a little while. Atleast I save the 5.5% tax.

This area is really changing... It was nice when I moved up here 5 years ago, but now there are a ton of vacant store fronts and crime is on the rise. It is a multifaceted problem from the entire death of retail in the US, to piss poor local government and to a point, state. To just the general shitty economy. But the huge drug problem is also causing more than a small part to it as well.

I realized that if Hitlery wasn't elected than the firearms market would contract as no one was scared for their rights. But then again if she was there would be a huge uptick for a year and then no market at all.

Up here we only have one indoor range, the place I mentioned that opened about a year ago and just started selling firearms not too long ago... I am iffy on their practices. When I ordered that upper, the receipt they gave me had a zero balance due and didn't show a purchase price... When I went back to see it when it came in the guy working the counter said I owed $500 on it. The fuck I did. All it showed in the computer was that it was ordered and paid for, the vendor price was $1600 and some change, I paid $1800 and some change. He said I only paid the vendor price, nope. Not my fault you fuck sticks didn't charge me more.

I don't understand why people live in places that suck. Life is short and you only get one turn on the ride.

I have 2 indoor ranges within 15 minutes of my house, one of which will allow the use of a 50 cal. With my military background it's only $175/year and I can shoot as often and for as long as I like. The 10% sales tax kind of sucks but it's much better than having an income tax so I'll take the trade off any day.

Move to TN. Problem solved.
    "Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Not moving, kids are here, not leaving them. And I did leave a place that sucks, I moved out of IL manyvyeats ago. And declined to move to an even shittier place, Kali. I'm happy here, doesn't mean it doesn't have it's faults, as everywhere does.
    Last edited by NIUPonyBoy; 05-31-2017 at 06:40 PM.

After spending a week in NC I've decided I need out of Central Florida. This place has gone to hell. I'm going to start looking, but need my parents to be on board. It'll likely be the whole clan moving, me, my parents, my sister's family.

The Fla is a place I would happily live. Lol Actually on my list for vacation house.

I liked the kackalackies too. I'll be in the outer banks later this summer.

I like along the southeast too.

The construction quality is much nicer than here in Houston. People are nicer too.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

The going out of business prices at Gander Mtn. are still 70% over what retail should be.

I dig southeast, specifically east tn. Lots of lakes, mountains, and guns. Lots of guns. Lots of them.

Yes, gander prices are ridiculous. And so are camping world prices. Good for browsing, not so much for buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richard White
    Reproduction Window Sticker Guy

Tennessee has never been on my list... Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada and even Utah have been my want to live in states list. Wouldn't object to the Carolinas, Wyoming, Montana or New Mexico. New Mexico being the only state I think the wife and I could agree on. Lol

Tennessee has a lot going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771 View Post
    I dig southeast, specifically east tn. Lots of lakes, mountains, and guns. Lots of guns. Lots of them.

Yes, gander prices are ridiculous. And so are camping world prices. Good for browsing, not so much for buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's too far West for me. About the only other place I would want to live in aside from here in Columbia SC, would be Savannah or possibly somewhere in Florida. My friend mentioned Titusville or something like that being a nice area but haven't looked.
    Self-improvement is masturbation.Self-destruction is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Tennessee has a lot going for it.
    At this point it'd be nice to see people stop moving to Nashville. Latest data was 100 new people into middle TN per day. On the plus side my property value is up more than 33% in less than 5 years.

Like every big city Nashville is leaning left but it's only a lean. Still very moderate with middle of the spectrum conservatives and pretty tolerant.

The area isn't very Raptor friendly, that's one area where I miss the west. But it is extremely GTR friendly with the best collection of curvy umderpopulated roads I've ever seen.

Music scene is awesome. Sports scene is obviously over the top (70k people in the streets downtown watching the Preds on giant screens during the Stanley Cup). Family life is fantastic. Anything outdoorsy other than skiing at your fingertips.

Only suck is the weather. I hate rain. We usually have droughts in the spring followed by wet summers. Wet winter too. Allergies here are awful. These are the two reasons that I will retire and then move out of TN to someplace with palm trees.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastDoc View Post
    At this point it'd be nice to see people stop moving to Nashville. Latest data was 100 new people into middle TN per day. On the plus side my property value is up more than 33% in less than 5 years.

Like every big city Nashville is leaning left but it's only a lean. Still very moderate with middle of the spectrum conservatives and pretty tolerant.

The area isn't very Raptor friendly, that's one area where I miss the west. But it is extremely GTR friendly with the best collection of curvy umderpopulated roads I've ever seen.

Music scene is awesome. Sports scene is obviously over the top (70k people in the streets downtown watching the Preds on giant screens during the Stanley Cup). Family life is fantastic. Anything outdoorsy other than skiing at your fingertips.

Only suck is the weather. I hate rain. We usually have droughts in the spring followed by wet summers. Wet winter too. Allergies here are awful. These are the two reasons that I will retire and then move out of TN to someplace with palm trees.
    There are a fair number of people from up here in the northern Midwest that move down there to retire. The weather is more temperate, housing is reasonable, good access to health care, interesting scenery, friendly people. I'm not referring to Nashville, often smaller areas close to or in the mountains.