Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Civic #4, RIP.

Civic #4, RIP.

Driving to work, this section of interstate always comes to a crawl. I was at a stop or maybe inching forward when BAM!

Police confirmed #1 started it all. My assumption is #1 hit #2, which was then rammed into #3(me), which then lightly hit #4. I think #1 lost control after the initial hit, and then somehow clipped #5 as #1 veered across 3 lanes of traffic.

Goodbye you worthless POS! It had so many problems, I wouldn't have gotten a grand trying to sell it. Hopefully now I'll get $2,500-$3,000.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

A Straight Man in a Sea of Fudge packers.
    Glad you and everyone is ok, but that is some dumb luck to total out that pile. Lol Now get something NICE to drive, not another cheapo beater.
    Last edited by NIUPonyBoy; 06-06-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    The only perfect people drive Power Wagons.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

-'There is nothing more dangerously evil than a "well educated" liberal.'

I hope you have collision on your own policy. I wouldn't be surprised if that BMW owner only had the state minimum which is 10k PD.
    Chris

Glad you're alright, but yes, it's time for you to actually buy something decent and reliable.
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Quote Originally Posted by Schuller View Post
    I hope you have collision on your own policy. I wouldn't be surprised if that BMW owner only had the state minimum which is 10k PD.
    I have full coverage. Worst case I'm out $250, plus the $6 or so a day I'm paying for the rental. ...although I wonder if she doesn't have enough coverage that I get repaid for that, could I take her to small claims court? I don't work days, so I have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
    Glad you're alright, but yes, it's time for you to actually buy something decent and reliable.
    The thought was to buy a house before a new car. Yeah yeah, never going to happen because I'm lazy. Now I'm more so forced into buying the car first. Yeah, I could toss down 5K on another shitbox but the possibility of dealing with more issues without having any backup is not a good idea. What I want is a Fiesta ST, platinum white, silver wheels, with recaros. First off, used STs go for stupid prices. Second, wanting specifics, I sort of have to go new. Good, or prehaps bad for me, there's 2 within 40 miles. They want 25K. Maybe I can get them to compete with each other? I do have a friend who can get my x-plan(I beleive thats what it's called) as he's an engineer for Ford.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

Sorry about the accident, glad everyone is ok and time to get something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I have full coverage. Worst case I'm out $250, plus the $6 or so a day I'm paying for the rental. ...although I wonder if she doesn't have enough coverage that I get repaid for that, could I take her to small claims court? I don't work days, so I have the time.

Most of the time they will forward the deductible if it's looking like a PD excess. But, I wouldn't get too far ahead until you know if they have coverage.
    Chris

Good luck with that mess.

Toss a headlight in, zip screw the bumper cover back on and roll that bugger.... Take the payout/buyback...
    84 SVO

How does $5k to $7k not buy you a decent used car? That gets you just about anything in the 7-10 year old range, most around 100,000 miles with options varying, around here.
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Glad your ok,I'm with saturn on this and just drive it. Its now a Honda Accordion .

Well that is interesting luck.

I damaged the rear bumper on one of my old trucks and someone rear ended me a couple months later. I mean it sucks but weird luck.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

So the insurance company said coparts would come pick up the car and to empty it. They called yesterday and said they will pick it up within 48 hours and the driver will call me. They said empty it and remove the plates. I said it's a HOA neighborhood and I don't want to piss them off with a wrecked, tagless car on the street. I told them the plate will be unbolted, and just sitting in it's spot. Have the driver just toss it next to my front door. The car was there 2 hours ago. Now it's gone. Plate is nowhere to be found.

edit: called coparts. They claim the driver noted it didn't have plates on it. No clue if that means at pickup or at drop off. Either way, now I have to go through the DMV. I'm reading that with a police report I can get a new plate/sticker for free, so time to call a friend who is an officer.
    Last edited by Kevin; 06-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Yeah no kidding. I would have taken the plate as they asked. Now you gotta go track it down lol.

They are tow truck drivers, not HOA nannies.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
    Yeah no kidding. I would have taken the plate as they asked. Now you gotta go track it down lol.

They are tow truck drivers, not HOA nannies.
    Tossed in an edit. Looks like with a police report I can get a new plate/sticker free.

Quote Originally Posted by SATURN5 View Post
    Toss a headlight in, zip screw the bumper cover back on and roll that bugger.... Take the payout/buyback...
    The rear is pretty ****ed. Large pic: http://i.imgur.com/FQnlzVw.jpg

The trunk won't shut. There's massive holes into the spare tire well which is in parts, shoved up about 6-8 inches. The muffler is hanging incorrectly, and the tailpipe is smashed. The bumper, well it's on the side of the highway. I like to think I'm fairly logical. I don't let emotions win. I was in an accident going to work. Next thought, can the car still make it? I hadn't even talked to an officer yet, but I was ripping the rear bumper off with my bare hands. The side clips were all popped/broken. You can see the part I wasn't able to rip off.

In terms of keep driving it, to get the check, I have to go through the insurance company. They will total it. I then don't think I can get a clean title unless it's inspected, which it wouldn't pass.

Plus, the car leaked a quart of oil a week, the AC worked 75% of the time(other times it just stopped when it wanted), the exhaust rattled on the subframe, the power mirrors didn't work, the stereo was starting to have problems, the odometer locked up when rolling 100K(if even actual), check engine light saying rear O2, which could be the cat, and most recently, there was an odd noise from the rear brakes when I came to a complete stop, quickly. It wasn't when I applied the brakes but more so that exact moment when you come to a complete halt.

So no, I don't want the car back.

Quote Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
    How does $5k to $7k not buy you a decent used car? That gets you just about anything in the 7-10 year old range, most around 100,000 miles with options varying, around here.
    Decent and 100,000 mile don't go well together for a car that will be DD in FL traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by bad scar View Post
    Glad your ok,I'm with saturn on this and just drive it. Its now a Honda Accordion .
    Screw that. Kevin is not some 18 year old college kid. He's a single guy that needs a decent car. The new Civics actually look pretty cool. Or you could always get a Subie. You're not buying a house anytime soon so get a real damn car for once.
    "Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

I am with Doc. If you are single get something decent and enjoy yourself some before you get older.

Unless you pick up all your dates in an Uber and never bring them home.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastDoc View Post
    Screw that. Kevin is not some 18 year old college kid. He's a single guy that needs a decent car. The new Civics actually look pretty cool. Or you could always get a Subie. You're not buying a house anytime soon so get a real damn car for once.
    I want a house before fall. I'm still waiting on my body guy to be ready to take on the 89. The 89 will need a proper garage when it comes home. Plus then I'll start throwing money at it like there's no tomorrow. Now the issue is how much cash do I throw down to get the car I want. Any debt will affect what I'm approved for in terms of house. I think I'll throw down enough to get payments at under $200 for 72 months at 0%.

I like the Fiesta ST. Platinum white, silver wheels, and with the recaro seats.

200hp, 6 speed manual, and countless reviews declare it a street legal gokart. It's like a better and modern version of my old civic hatch I loved.
    Last edited by Kevin; 06-07-2017 at 07:21 PM.

I filed an online police report for my stolen license plate. Now I'll be able to get a replacement free.

Why?

In Michigan we call them beaters and don't lose our shit if they get scratched or dented and keeps the mileage down on the sunny day car.But if the insurance will give him 2.5 x the value without raising his rates cash the check and move on .

I know what a beater is, I've owned what I would call a beater. But why would he, or anyone, inflict suffering upon themselves... on purpose?

In Michigan we call them beaters and don't lose our shit if they get scratched or dented and keeps the mileage down on the sunny day car.But if the insurance will give him 2.5 x the value without raising his rates cash the check and move on .
    As said, they will give me the car with a salvage title that I can't register until getting said car inspected (so I believe)

Ignoring that, it still had AC that randomly didn't work, a quart a week oil leak, an annoying exhaust rattle, a non working odometer, and other small issues.