Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Civic #4, RIP.

You wouldn't get a salvage title with that, you'd get a C.O.D. Thus, the only thing you're getting to do is use it for parts. You've already figured out it isn't worth it.
    Chris

It's worth way more to a salvage yard in parts.

Get a house before everyone runs to buy because interest rates may tick up.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

I was 75% still asleep while talking to the dude, but he called to ask my mileage. I took a guess. Being that what I said was much lower than the average 170K the car should have based on averages, my car is worth $36XX plus taxes, minus deductible and right back at about $36XX.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

Quote Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
    How does $5k to $7k not buy you a decent used car? That gets you just about anything in the 7-10 year old range, most around 100,000 miles with options varying, around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I want a house before fall. I'm still waiting on my body guy to be ready to take on the 89. The 89 will need a proper garage when it comes home. Plus then I'll start throwing money at it like there's no tomorrow. Now the issue is how much cash do I throw down to get the car I want. Any debt will affect what I'm approved for in terms of house. I think I'll throw down enough to get payments at under $200 for 72 months at 0%.

I like the Fiesta ST. Platinum white, silver wheels, and with the recaro seats.

200hp, 6 speed manual, and countless reviews declare it a street legal gokart. It's like a better and modern version of my old civic hatch I loved.
    Throwing money at the Mustang?? No man. No.

The day I did the math and discovered that if I sunk $20k into my Mustang it still wouldn't hold a candle to my M3 in terms of speed, handling or comfort, I decided to let it go. I haven't regretted that decision once. Having a foxbody to hold and keep dear, cool. But throwing money into it only to fail at any metric other than in comparison to some other 80's car? No.

If you're going to piss money away, take a week off and come to Nashville. We'll go out in the GTR. You'll never look at that Mustang the same again.
    "Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    Sweet luck totalling that pile. Plus lost wages because you have a physical job and your back hurts and neck hurts and also pain and suffering. See a chiropractor. Seriously. I DGAF what you do about transportation now. You'll just be an askhole about it anyway.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastDoc View Post
    Throwing money at the Mustang?? No man. No.
    Well at a minimum, it's getting a full exterior restoration aka body/paint/wheels/tires/brakes, and then I'm pulling the engine for a refresh. That will keep my plenty happy for a while.

If you're going to piss money away, take a week off and come to Nashville. We'll go out in the GTR. You'll never look at that Mustang the same again.
    no, No, HELL NO!!!!

That's like someone mentioning they like the feeling of mild pain killers and you suggest a dose of 100 OxyContin. Nothing good would ever come from me driving a GTR. Few to any other things would ever live up to it. I would spend my days attempting to reach that high again.

Decent and 100,000 mile don't go well together for a car that will be DD in FL traffic.
    I've only set foot in the state once, so I'm going to need more of an explanation, because right now I don't understand.
    "I'm so glad I wasn't anywhere near the engineering department when the 94 came out. I'm sure it started with "just keep the powertrain from the 93" and 6 months later, people are pulling their hair out, beating their wives, kicking their dogs, ending up with 90% of the powertrain being new, and everyone wondering wtf happened." - carpediem50

Quote Originally Posted by 87handmedown View Post
    I've only set foot in the state once, so I'm going to need more of an explanation, because right now I don't understand.
    Shitty drivers, salt everywhere, shitty roads, shitty people, shitty mcshiteverything.
    Self-improvement is masturbation.Self-destruction is the answer.

A Straight Man in a Sea of Fudge packers.
    Do you have your check and/or Raptor yet?
    The only perfect people drive Power Wagons.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

-'There is nothing more dangerously evil than a "well educated" liberal.'

Quote Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
    Do you have your check and/or Raptor yet?
    Sorta/no.

I put off mailing in the title for 2 days, but I got some sort of email from them today that a check is ready. I don't recall how they are doing that. They have direct withdraw, so direct deposit make sense but last time I had to go to a corp office to pick it up.

I want a white fiesta ST, silver wheels with recaros. Not hard to find, but there's not a lot of them. A local dealer has a left over 16. Perfect, they should want it gone. I PMed someone at SVTP for works for Ford, and he finds out they have had it 197 days, and all said and done are in it for 22,XXX. Being a sales manager, he said he would take 22K OTD just to get that off the lot. Yes, he would lose money to move it. It's a bad asset now. Online they want 21.5 for it. I get there and no being a first responder it's thus 22.5, plus 2K that internet pricing doesn't show, plus TT&L thus 26.5 and can't get 0% since it's a 16. I told them another local dealer already said 26.4 for a 17 with 0%. I told them 22K OTD. They didn't budge. I told them people around the country are getting 16s at under 20K OTD, but I know recaros are a 2K option. They nicely said that just because someone says something online doesn't make it true. They didn't say 24.5 or 25.5. They stood firm on 26.5...oh well.

I've emailed two other dealerships, and not heard back in 2 full business days. WTF? I figured dealerships would operate using technology being it's 2017. Their sites have blinking "Email for more info!" buttons. I'm not sure what's hard to comprehend when I say I'm a serious buyer, you have a car specced exactly as I want, and I want to know an OTD price. I guess I need to make some calls.
    Last edited by Kevin; 06-16-2017 at 01:04 PM.

I figured dealerships would operate using technology being it's 2017
    You have worked with car salesmen before, right?

I guess I need to make some calls.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by OnceBitten View Post
    You have worked with car salesmen before, right?

Yep

LOL.

I have my 2015 F150 I was having problems with. They offered me an extended warranty, I told them to work with the dealer to trade it or buy it back (lets keep the peace here).

Took it in the final time, truck was shorting out, at least the 10th time. On my last phone call with Ford they said talk to the GM of the dealership it was at. I don't mind loosing a little money (reasonable depreciation) and I want to get rid of this headache.

I was at work this day, the headache being I have to take the truck in while the problem is occurring 'so fuck my schedule'.

Sales manager sits me down with a car salesman. I go test drive a new one, to get pricing on it, they sit me down for like 30 minutes. I have my check book in my pocket ready to cut the difference, was guessing no more than $15,000.
    He comes back offering me $17,000 for my truck and $66,000 for the new one. So I would only loose $40,000 on a one year old truck with 20K miles on it in perfect condition but only have to spend around $10,000 more for the new one.

So yeah it was annoying. I guess I need to play the lottery more.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

17k and a 40,000 loss...I would ask for some paper...start doing some math.

write out how much bail would be and court costs for throat punching 2 dickwads pro-con list...bet it would be cheaper and more satisfying than missing 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
    LOL.

I have my 2015 F150 I was having problems with. They offered me an extended warranty, I told them to work with the dealer to trade it or buy it back (lets keep the peace here).

Took it in the final time, truck was shorting out, at least the 10th time. On my last phone call with Ford they said talk to the GM of the dealership it was at. I don't mind loosing a little money (reasonable depreciation) and I want to get rid of this headache.

I was at work this day, the headache being I have to take the truck in while the problem is occurring 'so fuck my schedule'.

Sales manager sits me down with a car salesman. I go test drive a new one, to get pricing on it, they sit me down for like 30 minutes. I have my check book in my pocket ready to cut the difference, was guessing no more than $15,000.
    He comes back offering me $17,000 for my truck and $66,000 for the new one. So I would only loose $40,000 on a one year old truck with 20K miles on it in perfect condition but only have to spend around $10,000 more for the new one.

So yeah it was annoying. I guess I need to play the lottery more.
    I'd buy a fucking dodge, and tow the piece of shit ford up and down the road in front of the dealership for months on end, spray painted with "<insert dealership here> fucked me in the ass, this is what you get when you fuck a man in the ass, Larry."

Then I would set it on fire in front of their dealership and roast marshmallows until the cops came.

That's just me tho...

Blog Entries
    ^^^^ and we have today's winner of the internets.
    "That stolen lemur bit one of your prostitutes right in the face. She can't go to hospital because she's, quote, tripping balls"

-Woodhouse

Had some choice words, loudly enough.

Why make this shit difficult is my thought?
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Because Fifty-thousand dollars?!?!?! I mean, yeah...I'm with you on the $10k...I've taken that loss before and recouped it over time with a good relationship...but for fuck's sake, Vampire LeStat!!! How long are you expecting the fucking GM/Salesmanager/Owner to live to pay that back?

Unless they're going to have the hot receptionist suck your dick on the weekly, I'd flip shit quicker than pancakes in that bitch. I would run off every single customer they ever THOUGHT about having until they bought that piece of shit back.

Naw the receptionist was a pancake faced little blob.

They know what the problem is, its in the back door, hell at one dealer we even sprayed a hose on it and got it to replicate without rain. I told them to show me what they were rigging up because they got the problem to improve. They never called me to show me (told them I am a fairly smart guy and trouble shoot stuff like this at work all the time, plus they may know who I am being in Houston I am kinda known but not expecting any favors).

First they fucked with the audio to somehow like make the buzzing go away during rain. That obviously didn't work and kinda fucked up the audio. Then they started screwing with the back door wiring (duh).

So at the dealer that offered the trade in, I drove out with an open ticket on the truck, took it to another dealer i bought it at a couple towns over. Talked to the owner and service manager. Service manager addressed it himself and it has only happened a few times since them (but they removed the insulation from the rear door LOL annoying). Plus Ford says they extended the warranty for 5 years 75K miles, and I guess I will just trade it in around that time and let the dealership deal with any problems after.

The reason I can't get to pissed at the dealer service is because they aren't getting paid diagnostic time. BUT I did ask them to help do a buy back or help trade it so it is a 'shit in your right hand, or shit in your left hand' situation.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

I guess the lesson is:

Go in educated, know what discounts they are offering other people. Prepare to get the run around if you are having mechanical issues with Ford.

So on that truck, I wanted a triplatinum white king ranch loaded out but monotone. Since the trucks had just started coming out that wasn't available without ordering (extensive dealership searching). I found this almost identical lariat (doesn't have the brown leather, real wood accents, massaging seats, or auto side steps), and it was a dealer trade and they took an offer of 10K off sticker for it. Wish it had the larger gas tank but don't even know if that was available as it was an early truck and I actually can live with this tank.

It is worth looking around and thinking before pulling the trigger.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Blog Entries
    I used to like car shopping...

Used to...

-Woodhouse

Its a pain in the Ass.

I don't understand it, sitting you down for 30 minutes while they talk to the salesmanager and disappear lol. Unprofessional.

I think maybe the best way to do it is hit a couple dealers, slip the sales guys $100 cash if they can give you the best price off their knowledge, those chumps only make like a couple hundred per sale anyway.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe T View Post
    Its a pain in the Ass.

I don't understand it, sitting you down for 30 minutes while they talk to the salesmanager and disappear lol. Unprofessional.

I think maybe the best way to do it is hit a couple dealers, slip the sales guys $100 cash if they can give you the best price off their knowledge, those chumps only make like a couple hundred per sale anyway.
    The one salesman I've ever dealt with that I thought was actually honest with me said they make 1% of the sticker price. So in his case, his bickering with the sales manager to get my offer approved was legit. He really did just want to make the sale, and he really didn't care how much it was for. He wanted the deal to go through because his commission was on the sticker, not the actual sales price. So if you were buying that truck for 60k, that guy was lookin at $600 just on that sale. Not bad for a day's work really. Though I don't know if a trade-in has any effect on that. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe every dealer does it differently.

-Woodhouse

Best experience I had was Dodge.

The last one I bought I planned in advance. Had my truck up for sale and had a few good bites. Talked to a sales guy and drove a few over the weekend. Some guy made an offer on my truck and we met during lunch and went to the bank and deposited the money and he drove me back to work.

I got a ride to the dealer and one of the trucks I wanted was sitting up front after a test drive. Told my salesguy I wanted to buy it. He did the sales manager talk thing. So I said fuck it and pushed my way through to talk to the sales manager. Told him everyone is giving 10,500 off, and he said he couldn't do that because it was a base Laramie like no options which was odd like no heated seats or trailer hitch or packages besides lower gears and posi (perfect). Anyway he did it and I put down the amount of cash I got earlier and they gave me the right rate. Took like an hour max.
    Non Elite Member #1
    1990 SSP

A Straight Man in a Sea of Fudge packers.
    Dis you get your ST yet Kev?
    The only perfect people drive Power Wagons.

POWER WAGON; genuflect and bow your head you unworthy piss-ant and pray to whatever God you believe in to have mercy upon your soul and your inferior pile of rusted crap car.

-'There is nothing more dangerously evil than a "well educated" liberal.'

Quote Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
    Dis you get your ST yet Kev?
    No, because I've been slightly lazy, and a cheap jew, while dealing with dealerships ran by fucking idiots.

2 hours away a dealership had a ST at $15,466 or so. BS, it's a 20-23K car. I look more into the add and they add in every single possible incentive. Sure, because how many people are military, a first responder, in college and trading a 05+, ALL at the same time? My math puts the car around 20.5

At lunch, I hit up their "ONLINE CHAT" because it keeps flashing while I'm looking at the ad. I say, "Hi, I don't quality for those 4 discounts, but I have x-plan, so that the OTD price?" Pretty simple fucking question. I get some response like, "Hi, I'll have our sales team look into that. Can I get your phone number." I give it to the online chat. "Thanks Kevin, can I have our sales team call you?" I explained, lied, that I'm on my lunch break, so please just email the number at the email address I've already given. Another response like, "Alright, so can I schedule you a test drive for tomorrow." I explain I'm 2 hours out, but could very well come buy the car tomorrow if I'm given a good number. She nicely says she will pass along the word. This was at 2pm. Sales is open till 8pm. At 4pm I get this email...

Dear Kevin,

I see you are interested in 2017 Ford Fiesta ST Hatchback. Great choice! Pricing depends on the special features and incentives the vehicle has. Our job is to help you get the vehicle that best fits your needs. We will also see what incentives and rebates you qualify for. With that being said, the manger is eager to meet with you and explore your options. You have been chosen for our VIP program where no rash decisions would have to be made. This gives you the opportunity to work face to face with a certified sales representative as well as look over inventory and test drive, it will only take a moment of your time. working within your schedule would you be able to stop in sometime Today or Tomorrow?

Thank you,

Amanda

....and nothing else. Yes this is my first time dealing with a dealership but holy fuck can no one read the words I typed. Do I need to just type in bold and be more direct? "GIVE ME THE FUCKING OTD PRICE NOW!!!!" Maybe that would work.

I also emailed a local dealership while eating lunch. I gave them the stock number two STs and again said which incentives I don't qualify and that I wanted OTD prices. No response.